Ontario Streams (OS) is committed to maintaining your privacy and protecting your personal information. We will inform our supporters of why and how we collect, use and disclose their personal information, obtain their consent where required, and only handle their personal information in a manner that a reasonable person would consider appropriate in the circumstances.
OS adheres to the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA). PIPEDA, which came into effect on April 13, 2000, sets out the ground rules for how Canadian businesses and not-for-profit organizations may collect, use and disclose personal information. We have committed to complying with several of PIPEDA's privacy principles including:
- Accountability: OS is responsible for personal information under its control and shall designate an individual or individuals to be accountable for our compliance with these principles.
- Identifying Purposes: The purposes for which the personal information is being collected will be identified by OS before or at the time of collection.
- Consent: The knowledge and consent of the individual are required for the collection, use or disclosure of personal information, except when inappropriate. OS will obtain express or implied consent when sending commercial messages.
- Limiting Collection: The collection of personal information shall be limited to that which is needed for the purposes identified by the organization. Information shall be collected by fair and lawful means.
- Limiting Use, Disclosure, and Retention: Personal information shall only be used or disclosed for the purposes for which it was collected. Personal information shall be kept as long as required to serve those purposes.
- Accuracy: Personal information shall be as accurate, complete, and up-to-date as possible in order to properly satisfy the purposes for which it is to be used.
- Safeguards: Personal information shall be protected by appropriate security relative to the sensitivity of the information.
- Openness: OS shall provide detailed information about its policies and practices relating to the management of personal information publicly and readily available.
- Individual Access: Upon request, an individual shall be informed of the existence, use, and disclosure of their personal information and be given access to that information. An individual shall be able to challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information and have it amended as appropriate.
- Challenging Compliance: An individual shall be able to challenge OS' compliance with the above principles.
When is Personal Information Collected?
As a result of making a donation to OS, contacting us about our programs and volunteer events, participating in OS-led events, visiting our website or contacting our office, OS may have collected some or all of the following personal information from you:
- Your name
- Street address, city, province, country, postal code
- Telephone number
- Email address
- Credit card or banking information
Personal information gathered by OS is kept in confidence. Our personnel are authorized to access personal information based only on their need to deal with the information for the reason(s) for which it was obtained. Safeguards are in place to ensure that the information is not disclosed or shared more widely than is necessary to achieve the purpose for which it was obtained.
What Does OS Use Your Information For?
Any personal information gathered will only be used for the purpose that the individual has consented. Contact information will be gathered from the mailing list sign-up page; this information will only be used to provide electronic notices associated with OS' volunteer events, fundraising requests, and/or organizational updates. All email addresses collected from our websites are for OS' use only, and will not be shared, rented or sold. OS will never make a member's email address or phone number available to outside parties.
Your personal information is secure. At OS we believe that securing your personal information is of the utmost importance. This means your credit card information and personal information are always secure with us. Safeguards are in place to ensure proper security.
Keeping your Information Updated
OS provides supporters with the opportunity to opt-out of receiving communications from us at any time. Supporters can, at any time, change or modify information previously provided.
If you have any questions or concerns about our privacy practices or your personal information in our possession, please contact OS at:Ontario Streams
50 Bloomington Road
Aurora, ON, L4G 0L8
Telephone: (905) 713-7399